Enhancing responsibilities, not replacing them
In AA Media Group’s project methodology each party has its own responsibilities and should provide certain roles to ensure a proper execution of these responsibilities. In a typical project the roles and responsibilities could be as in the diagram.
In many projects one main product vendor exists, providing the solution such as a MAM system, a Newsroom system, or delivering the majority of the equipment. Depending on the type of the project and the customer’s preference either the AA Media Group or the main product vendor could be the Lead System Integrator/contract party to the customer.
In any case AA Media group provides the professional services to ensure delivery according to the agreed scope in requirements, budget, time and quality.
The difference between the main product vendor and the other product vendors is that the main product vendor also holds responsibility for the Solution Architecture and Technical Architecture. Any vendor has the responsibility to provide the specialist knowledge of his products.
Customer stays in charge
Also the customer has distinct responsibilities in the project, like establishing the internal project organisation, specification of the requirements, acceptance of the solution and the organisational migration (changes to the operational organisation in order to make the solution and new workflows work).
The AA Media Group could assist the customer in the execution of the work associated with these responsibilities, but by its very nature only the customer bears the responsibility for these activities.
Clear assignment of responsibilities to each party is key in AA Media Group’s project approach. It is essential for clear and proper communication between all different parties and ensures that identified projects risks are managed by the party that has actual control over it. This results in a lower overall risk for the project.
Customer centric project methodology
The AA Media Group project management methodology is based upon PRINCE2, currently one of the most common project management methodologies. Some of the key elements of this methodology are:
- An agreed project plan or Project Initiation Document (PID).
- A clear organisation and responsibilities of all parties.
- Breakdown of the complete solution into a so-called Work Breakdown Structure, and definition of the Work Packages that together make up for all the activities in the project.
- Definition of the project phases and management of the phase transitions, e.g. between the Commercial Phase and the Project Start, or between the Build Phase and the Acceptance of the solution.
- Clear and agreed procedures e.g. for change control, issue handling and acceptance.
- Continuous risk management.
Although the same methodology will always be used to a certain level, the actual implementation can be very different from one project to another. Every project’s circumstances and every customer’s needs are unique and therefore require a unique project approach. In the project approach AA Media Group ensures that the key critical elements of the project are understood before agreeing upon the solution design and the project approach.
- to ensure the customer’s gets value for money, and
- minimise risk.